Global Post-Disaster Studies, Graduate Certificate (online)
Planning, Development and Reconstruction with Vulnerable Populations
Introducing a forward-thinking approach to disaster planning and recovery: envisioning opportunity and imagining a sustainable reconstruction which incorporates those most often forgotten "after the cameras have gone."
Explore effective, long-term solutions for:
- Bad governance and poverty
- Contamination of soils, air and water
- HIV/AIDS and other disease pandemics
- Wars and regional conflicts
- Severe weather-related events such as earthquakes, mudslides and tsunamis
- Large-scale attacks on civilian populations
- Technological catastrophes
The increase in disasters around the world demands global access to informed, skilled managers of sustainable recovery.
Concerned world citizens will find this graduate-level, online certificate to be the key that allows them to specialize in reconstruction, from policy and planning to operations on the ground. There would also be great value to people with these skills engaging to create a sustainable community/national disaster framework as regards preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery. Unique among advanced post-disaster education programs, this certificate emphasizes the needs of vulnerable populations, including children, women, the elderly, people with disabilities, and the poor.
Visionary. Sustainable. Comprehensive.
Presenting the complexities of disaster mitigation and recovery with a multi-disciplinary approach, faculty who have conducted intensive research and published widely on topics relevant to post-disaster reconstruction will present in their areas of expertise. Instructors from other institutions will also contribute to the program.
The carefully constructed curriculum facilitates greater job opportunities for those in the field, complements a master’s degree or PhD already earned, and prepares students planning to commence the longer commitment of an advanced degree.
Personnel trained to develop and implement appropriate reconstruction and recovery policies and action plans are needed in many organizations including:
- Governmental and non-governmental agencies
- International multilateral organizations
- For-profit and not-for-profit bodies
- Humanitarian and international relief organizations
- Global Post-Disaster Reconstruction and Management Certificate (non-credit)
- Center for Rebuilding Sustainable Communities After Disasters
- 2018 Disaster Risk Reduction, Response and Sustainable Reconstruction: Capacity Building for Equitable Planning and Development
- Accomplishments (2008-2014)